Since I've been diagnosed with ms, I've had at least three friend/acquaintances stop talking to me. Or rather, there have been at least three people who have stopped returning any of my emails or phone calls after they heard that I had ms. Are people actually this shallow, or is there some other reason that these people stopped talking to me? I've read that sometimes friends get freaked out by the news that someone they know has an incurable degenerative brain disease, but I didn't imagine that I actually knew anyone like that. Anyway, the people who have stuck around more than make up for the lame-os who haven't.
--------
Maple is awesome. She runs around like crazy and is very vocal. Sometimes she says words that are understandable, like shoe! and me! and nummy!, and sometimes she speaks for a minute or two, imitating our noises and inflections but not saying any discernible words. She loves to jump up and land on her butt -- this is most effective on a couch or other soft surface. She likes to eat just about anything. She loves her "arf" and pets and cuddles with her as much as Phoenix will allow. One of her favorite activities is taking empty boxes out of the recycling bag and strewing them all over the house. She also likes to play the xylophone and what she lacks in musicianship, she makes up for in strength, hitting the poor instrument with more force than it (or our ears) really wants. What is really amazing is at this age, Maple can communicate many things to us without words. She has her own sign language. When she wants to brush her teeth, she goes into the bathroom, points at the cabinet where her toothbrush lives, and rolls her tongue around in her mouth and says "blwuah bah bwlua?" When she is hungry she sticks her hand into her mouth a few times. And when she's tired she lays her head down on a soft surface. She still seems like a happy kid, although she's started hitting herself in the head when she's frustrated. I am a little worried about this, but I'm sure they make baby prozac.
2 comments:
Hmmmm.....I started talking to you and found out you had MS all at the same time. That must make me way cool, huh? :-)
what about the shallow people who stay, like me?
Post a Comment