deep in the heart

We just returned from Austin, where we spent a sweltering week recovering from Maple's first flu. We also did lots of FIMMING and mama went to the Usability Professionals Association conference. We also watched lots of cable tv, drank $3 cokes from the minibar, and fell off the vegan wagon.

Today is father's day, and I'm ashamed to say that I did not recognize either of the fathers in my life. Sean tried to send a fancy bottle of wine to my dad a few weeks ago, but he found out about Pennsylvania's commie liquor policy and was therefore thwarted. For my part, I forgot about Sean's being a father until yesterday, and by then it was too late. I definitely don't deserve to call myself Mr. Manager.

I attempted to recover late in the game by baking up some excellent chocolate mocha cupcakes, and they were beautiful and tasted great, but I don't think it quite hit the mark. Perhaps a-Rallye-Jacket-shopping I will go?

Maple has this to say: "No touching!"

Also, she has been watching sean and I kiss, and has taken to grabbing me by the back of the head and pressing her face onto mine for like, thirty seconds. I keep telling her "short kiss! short kiss!" but she thinks it's hilarious and refuses to change her ways. Please, tell your friends about this family.

I should tell you that Sean is really an excellent father, and the lack of thoughtfulness on my part is no indication that he lacks supportiveness, caring, or consideration. In fact, he came to Austin almost against his wishes, so that we could all hang out as a family for the week. He took care of Maple, nursed her back to health while I attended the conference. He took her FIMMING! and force-fed her Tylenol. He called the doctor and was even prepared to give her a suppository, but fortunately it didn't come to that. He carried her for miles in the 90 degree heat to buy her SAWBRIES, the only thing she would eat, at the original Whole Foods. And he gave up any possibility of having time for himself when I decided to do a few spur-of-the-moment interviews. Next week I am traveling to the east coast for some more interviews, and he will stay here and take care of Maple, Phoenix, the house, the yard, and hundreds of other odds and ends that I will never think about because he makes it so I don't have to. He is amazing and even though he sometimes thinks I don't, I love him like crazy.

6 comments:

papa said...

such an effusive entry about me may alienate your young hip readership since i'm not very likable to anyone beyond you and mae mae.

Unknown said...

i don't have any readers, young and hip or otherwise. so i think we're good.

Anonymous said...

You two.... I love you both!! And MaeMae!

The Man Inside Me said...

I'm going to agree with sean, "him?"

Anonymous said...

Ya, Sean seems to really wear papahood well. I didn't do anything for Phill either, but it was for more spiteful reasons.......Mother's Day. Love the kisses, too cute.
-Torrian

papa said...

torrian! call us with your email would you?

archives