plant a tree


maple holds her "house"
Originally uploaded by maple's mama.
Those of you with weak stomachs, or non-hippie sensibilities should probably stop reading now.

Okay? Okay. So last weekend we finally planted a maple tree on Maple's placenta. We got a bareroot tree for $4 at a local landscaping sale, and we used an old placenta we had in the freezer. The tree, which Maple picked out herself, is quite crooked, and so far shows no signs of life, but we're watering it every day and Maple kisses it every day and calls it "baby." It's very cute.

In other news, I bought a new bike which is much easier to ride, and I've actually ridden it to work already. I'm just off-balance enough that I am paranoid about riding on the road with cars. The drivers around here are so mean! So on my ride home from work on Thursday, I spent 28 minutes riding the bike and 42 minutes waiting at stoplights to cross busy intersections as if I was on foot. And I actually was on foot -- I also spent 12 minutes walking my bike, as if I was five.

Anyway it's a great bike and I'm so glad that my brain isn't so degraded that I can ride it just fine. Maybe someday I'll even make it back onto old "knife wheels."

Today we're having a few friends over to play in the yard with their kids and dogs. I'm making cappuccino cupcakes with espresso cream filling, just like I made for Sean's birthday. Maple is sleeping in, recovering from her heatstroke yesterday. She had a 106 fever! I think our thermometer is broken or something. But she was very hot. We woke up periodically through the night to check on her, and this morning she is fine.

Now Sean is home from the grocery store and he's going to make his incredibly good vegan tacos with carmelized onion and guacamole and pine nuts, and I'm going to make cupcakes, and maple is drinking her JUICE IN A BOTTLE on the couch.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eat a cupcake for me! It's my birthday today! :)

The Man Inside Me said...

When do I get my second batch of cupcakes? Perhaps I can shaare one with my "never" office romance.

Anonymous said...

Hi Portia-
I don't know if you remember me, I am Sean & Nates friend from Boulder, Torrian. Anyway I wanted to tell you that I love your blog, it has been fun "catching up" I don't mean to freak you out, but I read the whole thing and I think it is great. I really love seeing all the pics of mapes. Thanks for sharing Sean for a few days we truely enjoyed his company. Take Care-Torrian Nelson

Unknown said...

Of course I remember you, Torrian! It was great seeing the pictures of Ellie (don't know if I spelled that right) too. Hopefully we can get the little ones together sometime. I'm glad you enjoyed seeing Sean and we'll definitely be back in Boulder, I hope soon.

Send me a regular email so I have your email address: mine is gportia AT gmail DOT com.

Take care and send our love to your family!

archives