my daughter is debugging

Maple wanted to watch her videos tonight. About a year ago, or maybe more, Sean bought her three music videos on iTunes. It started with 1.2.3.4! by Feist, and then it was The Yeah Yeah Yeah's. So Maple loves these videos and they are on the iPod and she watches them on the tv. It's been a while since she watched them and I couldn't remember which of the tv's 42 inputs I was supposed to pick to get the iPod input to work, so I was pressing various buttons to try to get it to work, and Maple says, "I think it's not working because the stereo is not on." She was wrong, but she was troubleshooting! I was very proud.

A few months ago I was doing yoga every week at this yoga studio that is so convenient, I could practically spit on it from our house. (Although that wouldn't be very enlightened of me). Anyway this particular studio does only hot ashtanga style yoga, and after getting sick and puking in the heat, I decided to take a break. I kept wanting to get back to yoga, and Sean kept sweetly urging me to get back to it or go somewhere else for yoga, but as usual I was being stubborn. If I couldn't go to the place that was a block away, I wasn't going to go at all.

Then a few weekends ago, I hung out with some other women with MS, which was very cool, and one of them talked about the various types of yoga she did. And I remembered, duh, there are like 400 other types of yoga that aren't hot or "power"ful. So last weekend I went a little crazy and tried three new kinds of yoga.

Friday night was a 2-hour restorative yoga workshop. It was truly awesome. Except for the fact that the studio was above a nail salon, so I was a little high when I left. There was no flowing, it was just a series of about 8 restful poses involving lots of props -- blocks, blankets, cushions, straps. A real s&m type experience, but much more relaxing (I mean, not that I would know). We held each pose for about 10 minutes. There was lots of snoring. It rocked.

The next morning, Sean and Maple and I drove to Cambridge so I could try out PhysioYoga, which is like a cross between physical therapy and yoga. That also rocked, but in a slightly more active way. It was similar to restorative in that the class was just a series of different poses, no flowing. But it was different in that each pose was either a stretching pose or a balancing exercise. Since my balance sucks, it was a great "workout" for my brain, and I left there feeling like I was walking straight again, like when you're two days off a boat and you stop drifting around like a drunk.

Yesterday was my final day of the yoga binge. I took a class in the unfortunately named "Anusara-Inspired" style at a studio near my house that wasn't adjacent to a nail salon or dry cleaners or any other toxic-fume-making business. The Anusara class was decent, although the room was kind of warm (it's not hot yoga, they just had all the windows closed and it was stuffy) and there was more flow than I care for. (The reason I don't like "flow" is because my head does not like going upside down and right side up in anything resembling rapid succession). It was definitely the most strenuous of the three types I tried during my binge, and the one I'm the least likely to try again.

This week I'm planning to do a Kundalini class (which I've done before) and a Kripalu class. Both are in the nail salon. I mean, the yoga studio above the nail salon. I've never done Kripalu before so I have high hopes that it will be the perfect yoga for me. And the last time I did Kundalini (I had a pretty regular stint with it about 8 years ago) was before MS, so although I liked it then, I think I might like it even more now.

Sean and Maple just got into bed, so that means I'm missing the fun pre-bed conversations. Maple is telling Sean that her baby is exhausted. So is her mama.

No comments:

archives