maple is almost 4!

Some folks have asked what they can get for Maple for her birthday in August. Because of our somewhat "alternative" values, I wanted to make some suggestions for toys that Maple will like and that we won't be trying to throw away in ten minutes. Please don't get Maple anything unless you were going to do so anyway, this is not a solicitation for gifts. She loves cards so feel free to send her a card, she will love that.

If you really want to buy her a present, please consider the following:
1. We're vegan. Please don't buy Maple anything that's leather or contains leather.
2. We try to buy things that aren't plastic or toxic, and that aren't made in a "third world country". Please help us try to stick to this. The good news is that if you buy something that's not made in China, it might last longer.
3. Maple has lots of clothes.
4. We like Waldorf toys. If you don't know what that is, do a google search for "Waldorf toys" and see what comes up.
5. Maple loves painting and drawing right now, and I bet she'd like anything else that is age-appropriate and crafty. Art supplies would make great gifts. I've heard that single-color watercolor painting with a wide brush on nice paper is really fun for kids this age. Or maybe a place to keep her supplies?
6. We live in a tiny space. We are constantly getting rid of toys, because Maple always has more than she can possibly play with, and it ends up all over the house. So think small!
7. Maple is really into games of pretend right now. She uses the toys she has as props, and doesn't usually play with things as they're intended. She uses blocks as cell phones, spoons as cigarettes (oy), and musical instruments as cappucinos that she lovingly makes for us. Any toy that aids and abets her games of pretend would be great right now. (Like these.)
8. We have tons of books. Tons. We always love books but are running out of places to store them! Fortunately we live about 500 feet from a great library.
9. She's always playing jump rope but she doesn't have one.

Okay that's it. I'm sure it is completely gauche to make these suggestions, but oh well. That's just the kind of cracked hippie I am. Feel free to ask me if you have any more questions. Just don't ask how I got this way. I have no idea. My brother is completely normal.

No comments:

archives