boobathon

Over the past week, Maple has found her voice. I wish I could say that it is a sweet, cooing voice, but in fact she has learned the not-so-gentle art of screaming. And so far, there is only one thing that can arrest the screams once they begin, and that is the boob. I was under the impression that a newborn baby only needs to eat every two or three hours, and so I was starting to worry that Maple was in some way exceptional. And I don't mean that in no nice way!

After consulting my three infant operating manuals, I have learned that the desire to eat every 20 minutes, accompanied by the need to sleep for ten minutes in between each feeding, is completely normal. The manuals say that I should put my feet up and enjoy being a fast food joint, because it won't last forever. So I guess I can throw away my supersized roll of duct tape and start stuffing my boob in her mouth at alarmingly frequent intervals instead.

Other than the boobathon, Maple and Sean and I are doing well. We are learning a lot and really enjoying being parents. (Maple enjoys babyhood as long as there is a nipple in the room.) I am still pretty emotional, but not depressed -- I think the baby blues have passed. Now I only cry when I look at her, so we're down to just a few hundred episodes per day.

The only real bummer is that I have no clothes that fit me. Today I had the ridiculous notion that I would see which of my pre-pregnancy clothes fit. This was a really, REALLY stupid idea. I gained 50 pounds over the past nine months, and have lost 20 since Maple was born. But um, 30 extra pounds means nothing fits. I don't have a belly anymore, so the maternity stuff doesn't fit, but my ass is too big for my old clothes. I know that my size doesn't really matter, since Maple and I are healthy, but it would be really nice to have some clothes that fit! So for those of you who want to send baby clothes for Maple, I have a better idea. Mama needs clothes too! Maple has enough already! Thank you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you should get mc hammer pants.

uh oh. uh oh.


http://mrsun.us/images/hammerpants.gif

a.a.

archives