Two Races

It's New Year's Eve. Everyone is looking back at the past year and dreaming about the next, and I feel compelled to do the same.

In 2011, I had my first full year without MS meds since before Maple was born. I felt great most of the year, but I had a relapse in September, which I recovered from pretty quickly and without medication. I got inspired to take my casual running more seriously, and I ran two 5k races. I attempted a trail half marathon, and when that didn't pan out, I registered for a road half marathon. An ankle injury and the MS relapse kept me from doing that race. But despite those disappointments, I'm so glad I took up running again, and I'm looking forward to 2012. I'm registered for two races already.

Maple ran two races as well; one at the first 5k that I did, and another one at the inaugural BAA 10k. She learned to read and she started first grade. She is almost 4' tall now. She eats well and is firmly vegetarian. She is really compassionate and kind, but like most modern kids who are around other modern kids, she is six going on 16. She loves everything that she thinks teenagers like, including Selena Gomez, tight pants, and nail polish. Despite that, she's unlike other kids in some ways that I can't put my finger on. Her best friend's mother, Ms. G., told me something Maple said during a recent play date. Her friend was running around screaming nonsense at her sister, and Maple came up to Ms. G. and said thoughtfully, "Don't take this the wrong way, but it's really loud at your house." She was surprised that Maple considered how her comment might sound before she said it. I wasn't.

She took ballet class this fall, and is about to start ice skating classes. She's learning French with her mama. She loves to read and she still loves to sleep in our bed whenever we let her (which is most weekends). She's made some friends in first grade and has learned the importance of not only hanging out with the weird kids. She's our little buddy and we adore her.

Sean ran two races this year as well. He was my pacer for my first 5k, and, never one to do things halfway, he went on to run the Vermont 50. That's 50 miles. He got injured at mile 23 or so, but kept running until they made him stop at mile 33. I can't wait to see what he does this year - I think he's planning on two really long races. He started a new job in April and has been working at it ever since. He doesn't love it but he's really good at it. He's also really good at being Maple's dad and my husband. He's thoughtful and sweet but he doesn't take any shit, which keeps us all on our toes, in the best possible way. I don't know what life would be like without him. He makes everything simple and real.

As a family we had a great year. We bought and moved into a brand-new condo, and just a few weeks ago we grew into it a little more by getting some grown-up furniture. Pretty soon we're going to hang pictures on the walls! We love this place and we're pretty surprised to have pushed our chips in on Massachusetts. Our little town is friendly (as New England goes) and walkable and we can do our Saturday morning chores without getting in the car. I think I've mentioned that about four times on this blog so far; it's a high point. We've been staying healthy and supporting and enjoying each other every day.

We have hopes and dreams for 2012, and the best part is that we'll be together to see all of it unfold.

No comments:

archives