a shift in the belly-time continuum

Last night while we were watching CSI, I noticed that Maple had jiggled her way into a new position. Ever-paranoid about breechness (given my own refusal to "head down" to the birth canal some 30 years ago), I am now panicked that it's her head that is sticking out of my left side. It's probably a hip or a butt, but it would be so unlike me to trust the competence of another human. I imagine that she has spun completely around and will never come out without the help of sharp instruments and expensive surgeons.

The dog completely refuses to listen to me. Last night we had the front door open for a few minutes to get some air moving around, and she woke up from a dead sleep, barked like a coyote, and ran out the front door. I jumped up and started calling her back in, as I was pretty sure there was nothing worth barking at. I heard her massive toenails clicking on the street and realized she had just bolted across it. I really yelled for her then, but she could not have been less interested in recognizing my voice. Then Sean got up, walked to the door and said (very calmly), "Come on, Phoenix." The clicking stopped, and two seconds later she appeared in the doorway. It is during these times when I feel that some amount of animal abuse should be perfectly legal.

I am carless again today, so I think I'm going to do this massive mound of dishes and then walk to the grocery store for some food shopping and baby-lowering (the midwife says that walking helps encourage the baby to move down). I live within walking distance of a grocery store, a weekend farmer's market, and a couple of cool places to eat. The local bus depot is also just a 20-minute walk away, which means I can catch a bus to anywhere. And I get to ride for free!

No comments:

archives