Last night I started "early labor" around 2 am. I woke up with some contractions and stayed awake for a little while to see what was going on. After trying to time a couple of them, I realized that it was early labor, which is marked by mild and irregular contractions. But it was encouraging, since I could tell that things were really starting to happen! Things! Happening!
Today I feel the same -- crampy and having the occasional mild contraction. It's really fun and not painful at all in the beginning. The purpose of early labor is to move the cervix into the proper anterior (front-facing) position, and soften and efface (thin) it. At this stage, labor can start and stop, and a woman can stay in early labor for hours or days. When active labor starts, the contractions will be more regular, as well as stronger, longer, and closer together. Apparently I will know it when I'm in it.
So for now I'm just going about my day, reading and walking and sitting in the backyard. I feel very calm, knowing that my kid will most likely be born by Monday. It's a great feeling. I was starting to wonder if my body wouldn't know what to do to get this baby out!
1 comment:
I didn't give birth to a dummy!
Maybe she'll wait till Sunday like you did but I hope not. Love and all our best wishes for an easy delivery, Mom
Post a Comment