love and big sur


love
Originally uploaded by maple's mama.
So I finally have time to write about our Big Sur trip but now of course I'm exhausted and just wanna go to bed. Maple has been asleep for 2 hours already and if I don't get in there soon, I'll be tired in the morning when she gets up.

Sean is out working tonight at a friend's house, which is great (extra cash) but I miss him and wish we were hanging out together. We rented the first disc of season 2 of Grey's Anatomy and I can't watch it until he's back!

Our honeymoon trip was awesome. I had blocked out most of Big Sur since we left. I really never thought I would see that place again. Part of it is probably that I always expect to be in a wheelchair within any given week, not that there's anything wrong with that, and I think the other part is that I know we can never afford to live there again so what is the point. But that's stupid because we can visit and we must visit because Danielle and Chuck and Erlinda are there. Also their crazy dogs Nabu and Lucy. And the kittens. And their warm, sweet, homey vibe and home that make our Lacey existence seem like a Wal*Mart hotel or something. I love it there and I love them and I want Maple to grow up knowing that not everyone has electricity or paved driveways.

We did not get to see half the stuff I wanted to see, like Pfeiffer Beach or the Big Sur River (in the State Park) or Partington Cove or the Molera meadow where Sean quit drugs and started life again. But we did get to see Sand Dollar beach and the bluffs above Molera, and our friends.

I will say it publicly because no matter how many times I say it, it doesn't feel like it's enough. Thank you to Carlin and Emily for bringing us back to our home, the place where we started. Thank you for making the whole thing happen and for being great company and for cooking great food and for being our friends. You two are awesome and I hope someday we can do something that cool for you.

Maple is changing so much I can hardly keep up. Tonight she brushed her own teeth, after I tried to brush them for her as I usually do and she grabbed the toothbrush away from me so she could do it herself. She can say a lot of words and understands far more than she can say. Tonight I asked her "Can you say 'Portia'?" And she pointed right at me and said "mama." How does she know that? It's not like I ever taught her my name. And she can point at the picture on the fridge at "grandma" and "mama" and "dada." She never crawls anymore. And she still says "CA" and points when she wants something she can't yet say. Grandma taught her to get down off the couch but she still asks us permission by pointing at the ground and saying "CA?" or sometimes "DAH"? She seems incredibly smart to me but it's probably just that her mind is so far beyond her ability to verbalize that she seems to be a little wizard half the time.

I got some new cookbooks the other day and have been making some really yummy soups. I think I'm going to go have another bowl of tonight's special -- roasted eggplant and pepper soup with yogurt and cilantro. I don't even like cilantro but it's all blended up so you can't really tell. I've been leaning more towards vegetarianism lately than veganism so I guess I can now say I'm a vegetarian who likes to eat vegan often. I should stop telling people I'm vegan because then they cook these great vegan meals and I eat enchiladas the next day. On second thought, maybe not...

No comments:

archives