When I was growing up, my friend Lachelle lived two doors down the street. Lachelle's family was Jewish, and every December we had a little holiday exchange program. Lachelle and her mom (and later her sister, Evelyn) came over to help us decorate the Christmas tree, and I went to their house for the lighting of the Hanukkah candles. It was really fun to experience a different tradition from mine, and I'm glad our parents set it up for us. I guess I am a culture vulture* from way back.
It's been years since I lit the Hanukkah candles with Lachelle and her family, but I've never forgotten the Hanukkah prayer. It's my one party trick. It's very impressive to drunken Jews that a shiksa can recite the whole thing. Although I found out the other day that I only know the first of three prayers, but still, it's impressive. Let's face it, the bar is low for WASPs. People are also amazed that we can tie our shoes.
Now that I have a kid, I think a lot about holidays and traditions. I think about how Christmas was when I was a kid, and how I want it to be for Maple. Christmas is supposed to be a Christian holiday, and we are not Christians, so why do we still celebrate it? Nowadays, Christmas seems to be a holiday of materialism, where people or companies with money and power tell everyone to buy lots of shit. (Yes you can puke now). Of course I'm not saying that Christmas is all bad. It's fun to have traditions, it's fun to get together with family and have time off work. It's fun to decorate the tree and give and get presents. But I still question the whole thing. And I also want to celebrate Hanukkah, because I loved it when I was little, and I want Maple to see that there are other holidays in December besides Christmas.
So this year, on the first day of Hanukkah, I went to a local Jewish deli and bought some Hanukkah candles, a dreidel, and some gelt (chocolate coins) for Maple. I tried to buy a menorah but they were all awful and expensive. (I guess Christians don't have the corner on tacky crap?) And I went home and lit the candles with Maple and said the Hanukkah prayer. Last night was the third night of Hanukkah, and this morning, as we're eating breakfast, Maple says to me, "Can we light the candles now?" That was so cute. She probably doesn't give a shit about the candles, she just wants the gelt that I give her afterwards.
So for Christmas this year, I want a menorah.
*Culture vulture is one of Sean's very funny expressions.
5 comments:
is the "dreidel" the thing that looks like a butt plug with hieroglyphics?
"did somebody say butt plug?"
The chocolate coins are called "gelt" :)
Post a Comment