MA



Our house is about a ten minute walk from the commuter rail line, so this morning we walked to the train and took it into Boston to go to the Pride Parade. Maple saw lots of colorful things and heard lots of loud noises and, whether she knew it or not, was part of a really cool celebration of love and family. And leather.

Despite the snobbery and the chronic emphasis on wealth that usually make me embarrassed to live in Massachusetts, I feel proud to live in a state where any two people can get married. I guess "proud" isn't exactly the right term -- it just seems normal that you can decide who you want to marry, no matter what sex they are. (Sean says, "Everyone has the right to be miserable!") But given the laws in most other states, I can at least say that I'm less embarrassed.

The best part of the parade was the older couple in matching outfits who were riding in a rickshaw and carrying a poster that said, "53 years together, 4 years married." They were super cute.

5 comments:

The Man Inside Me said...

As the token fag friend, I have to admit that I'm a minority within my community on marriage. While not against it I've never seen the point in trying to be something that we're not. Marriage has always been a religious ritual that I want no part in, and I think others will agree once the novelty has worn off, just like in Mass. were gay marriage rates have dropped dramatically.

Unknown said...

There is nothing "token" about you. :)

I appreciate your take on gay marriage, but also, there are some people for whom it does matter (think of those tennis racket wielding guys in the NYT last month), and they should be allowed to get married, right?

Plus, people buy you lots of shit when you get married. There's something to be said for that!

The Man Inside Me said...

I'm by no means an opponent the NYT guys should get married if they want and collect all the gifts they can.

Aside from the rights I don't see the point. I even brought this up to a few gay friends and I didn't get beat up, they agreed.

To each his own.

papa said...

"gee--why wouldn't anyone want to marry him?"

The Man Inside Me said...

"I'm a fun guy, I am"

archives