hiking journal: 9.1.08



Last weekend we moved into our new place in Natick. This weekend we drove to western Mass so that I could hike 22.4 miles of the AT. And after three days without a shower, we got to come back to our new place which was so great. It's been a stellar ten days.

I still have about 637 miles to go until I reach the northern terminus of the Trail in ME. I think I might be able to finish by 2013. I want to finish while I can, while I'm still healthy, but I also want to have a normal life with my family and not get all obsessive about it.

My family, however, is incredibly supportive of me and my crazy passion about the Trail. Sean drove me to and from four different trailheads, most of them on only moderately accessible dirt roads. He also drove to western Mass and back and hung out Saturday, Sunday, and Monday with Phoenix and Maple. Maple originally cried because I was going to hike without her, but after some stern warnings from dad about supporting mom, she ended up wishing me good luck every morning and telling me "don't go changin!" with her adorable grin. Sean also had to overcome his fear that I would get murdered in the woods alone. But it all went perfectly. I got to see a black bear, I didn't get rained on, and I didn't get caught shitting in the woods. Now that's a successful trip!

No comments:

archives