vegan mofos

So I have not been good at all about doing the "vegan mofo" thing. Oh well. We're too busy having a life to write here much. So I'll give you the round up of late.

I finished knitting the awful scarf for sean, and it turned out beautifully. I'm shocked. And he likes it! We even got praise for it yesterday from an elderly knitting diva who owns a local knitting store.

Yesterday, aside from visiting a new (to us) knitting store in Newton - the best store ever - Puttin' on the Knitz - we went downtown and tried on various winter coats. It's getting cold in Massachusetts - it even snowed last week!

Today we're overhauling our coat/shoe area, which had become a hot mess. Or a not hot mess. We're putting up three coat hook things, one for each of us, and Maple's will be hung at Maple height. She's very excited about this, as she'll be able to hang up her own coats. This of course means that she will actually have to do it, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Last weekend we did a 5.5-mile AT hike over Bromley Mountain in Vermont, bringing my total mileage for this year to 106. We might do another day hike around Thanksgiving if it hasn't snowed yet. Maple and Grandma were supposed to come along, but it was a cold rainy day so they stayed at home. Afterwards, my parents and Maple picked us up, and we spent some time in Manchester, where I stupidly convinced my mom not to get this cool fleece pullover she wanted. She ended up trying to find it as soon as she got home! I am not a good shopping partner. I did however let her buy me the best book ever at the best bookstore ever. Thanks, Ma! (And don't tell her but I bought and sent her the pullover a few days ago.)

Another cool thing my mom did was pick out gorgeous yarn for her Christmas present. She doesn't know what she's getting, but I'm having a lot of fun knitting it.

For more fall fun, we just found out we're getting an awesome new washer. Our washer is dying and because our laundry closet is so tiny, the only washer that will come close to fitting is a Bosch front loader. Woo hoo! And our landlord rocks -- he is ordering the new one as we speak so it will get delivered this week.

Maple had a rite of passage this week - she got "brought up" at school and had to go before the "JC" (Judicial Council). Some of her friends reported that she refused to clean up a big mess she made in the playroom (shocking!) and so she plead guilty (which she described as "I prayed I felt guilty") and got off with a warning. This school is so great, they do the disciplining for us. Now we're considered instituting a JC at home!

I still think Sean's getting in to the program he applied for, but of course we won't know for sure until December 15. The thing he submitted was so awesome, it's like nothing I've ever read before, and if they don't accept him they are crazy. I'm betting on a very merry xmas for him. Plus he has a cool new scarf!

Otherwise we've just been enjoying fall and each other.

1 comment:

Happy Worker said...

Hi Portia - haven't checked in with your blog in a while but I'm glad to see you and the fam are all doing well. The scarf is GORGEOUS, btw!

archives