bozeman

We had a strange surprise today. But I'll start at the beginning.

We slept in and hit the road around 9:30. After a brief stop at Starbucks, we got back on I-90 and headed east towards Spokane. (That's "spo-can" for you easterners). It was very, very hot when we got to Kellogg, ID, where we stopped for a walk and a smoothie. We met the very nice Vermonter at the coffeeshop in Kellogg's Alpine Village, who gave Phoenix water and treats. We walked around in the dry heat until Maple turned pink, then we got back in the car.

We both had voice messages from my dad who said that he'd read my last blog entry and wanted us to go to the Emerson Grill in Bozeman tonight, because an old friend of mine, Don, was the head chef there. Sean and I had just been saying that it's odd that we don't know more people along the way from Washington to Mass, so this was kind of a nice coincidence.

We stopped for lunch in Missoula, MT, where there was a shit-ton of traffic, and where Sean knew of a great little cafe called Butterfly Herb. One great hummus sandwich and a bagel and a salad later and we were back on the road. Maple started to lose it towards the end of the 200-mile stretch to Bozeman, and we ran over a giant boat cushion, but we made it and checked into our hotel. The Holiday Inn in Bozeman is a much MUCH nicer place than that Moses Lake dump we stayed in last night. Also it is much cooler here.

We showered and went to the Emerson Grill, which was an amazing dining experience. I think it ranks right up there with the Desert Bistro in Moab - maybe even better since they had pizza! Maple jumped up and down in the booth all night, we had insanely good grub, and I even ate calamari. It was sooo good. The first seafood I've ever not gagged on. It was great to see Don and I would never have recognized him if I didn't know he worked there. He got to visit with us a little bit and got a hug from Maple. She was so charming, as usual.

So now Maple's sleeping and Sean and I are watching tv. Soon it will be time for bed, and tomorrow we're off to Bismarck. Exciting!

I love road trips. It is great to watch the scenery change and the state lines go by and the time zones come and go. Only 2354 miles to go!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dude, glad you're having fun. Thanks for keeping us posted on your great adventure! Miss you.

Anonymous said...

Portia, Maple and Sean:
It's great to read about your road trip. We miss you too!
Suzanne

The Man Inside Me said...

I don't know how to tell you guys this but... Your departure... I'll just say it. " I'm back into cut-offs":)

archives